NEWTON NORTH PTSO
Minutes of Board Meeting
February 28, 2017
Sally Brickell, Co-President
Rex Clark, Co-President
Vani Sayeed, Program Co-Chair
April Stein, Co-Treasurer
Patty McCabe, Celebration Co-Chair
Joel Bloom, Grants & Projects Co-Chair, Secretary Pro Tempore
Henry Turner, Principal
- Comments that Just Think Expo was once again a successful event.
- Mention that Making Most of HS Years was taking place this week.
- Discussion of potential future programming events such as “what it is like to be part of a minority group”, “tolerance, acceptance, integration or minority groups”, “parenting related issues”. Also discussed formats such as “TedTalks” style, panel format, or expert lecturer.
- Discussion of theme, “Hollywood Nights”, the need for a co-chair, the need to raise money for Celebration, and the trade-offs between storing supplies on site vs. the off-site storage facility.
- Grants and Projects
- The total grants approved was approximately $18,000, although most likely not all teachers will follow through with submission. Three teachers requested a few extra days to submit invoices.
- Discussion of starting process earlier in 2017, perhaps submissions in mid-October and notices of approval at end of November.
- Request teacher appreciation feedback to post on website.
- Center for Civic Engagement
- Agreed to add a line item to the PTSO budget to provide approximately $600 per year for food and drinks for students who visit the Center.
- Ty Vignone Bequest
- Testamentary gift of $12,000 per year for a 9-year period to NNHS to provide international travel/study experiences for two teachers each year.
- Discussion of where the funds will be held, NNHS or Newton School Foundation. Also need to determine if the funds are contained in a Trust that will hold the funds until distribution to fund trips.
- Mention was made that Albert Cho will be the coordinator of this activity.
- Mass 9 for the Ninth
- Discussion of shifting it to its own tax exempt entity rather than keeping it under the PTSO.
- Family Involvement
- Sally recruited a volunteer to work with parents outside the immediate Newton community (ELL, METCO) to become more included in and involved with NNHS.
- Invite these parents to participate in school volunteer events such as Operation Bold Paint to inculcate them into the community.
- Tiger Booster Club
- The club is considering creating its own 501(c)3 and is in process of obtaining an EIN.
- However, it still needs a president, a structure and more parent involvement in order to become a viable entity.