Are you looking for a way to honor and thank the exceptional teachers and staff who have motivated, educated, and inspired your students all year? Please participate in the Honor Thy Teacher campaign sponsored by Newton Schools Foundation (NSF). This special program, now in its 20th year, enables families to thank teachers and other school personnel by giving a gift to NSF in their honor. NSF will notify the honored teachers and staff of your gift (suggested amount - $25/teacher); share the honoree names with the superintendent and principals; and list all the honorees in the Newton TAB.
Make your tax-deductible donation in one of three ways.
- Donate online at newtonschoolsfoundation.org.
- Mail a check to Newton Schools Foundation, P.O. Box 590020, Newton Centre, MA 02459.
- Look for a flyer and donation form in your mail in the coming weeks.
Please be sure to include the names of the teachers and/or staff whom you are honoring.
What does Newton Schools Foundation support at Newton North?
Your gift supports NSF initiatives that include teachers’ professional development and new curricula and learning opportunities. NSF supports the following programs at Newton North:
- AP United States History Summer Academy (for rising juniors, with structured academic support to help them succeed in AP US History)
- Science and Society (a senior elective co-taught interdisciplinary science and history course),
- The Calculus Project (a program which engages low-income and minority students in intensive summer classes and provides tutoring throughout the school year to help them achieve in accelerated math courses as they progress through high school),
- Computer Programming Development (two teachers planned the transition of the Introductory and Advanced Programming classes to the Swift Programming Language, building capacity to teach the new program)
- Culturally Proficient Teaching (which helps teachers embrace the model of grouping students of color in upper level classes).
How does Newton Schools Foundation work?
There is a place in America to take a stand: It is public education. It is the great common ground.
Public education after all is the engine that moves us as a society toward a common destiny…it is in public education that the American dream begins to take shape.
– Tom Brokaw
Newton Schools Foundation (NSF) is a vital catalyst of community support for the Newton Public Schools. Using private funds raised from the broader Newton community, including individuals, local businesses, and foundations, NSF works closely with school leadership to find ways to enhance and enrich the ongoing curriculum and helps provide opportunities to explore ideas that would not otherwise be possible under the usual constraints of the annual school budget.