As members of the Newton North community, all of us want to ensure the safety of students getting to and from school. Here are some things we can all do to make travel safer.
- Encourage students to walk and bike. Walking is good for students’ health, mental well-being, independence skills, and learning; and it can be a social experience. Just ask the Surgeon General (http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/calls/walking-and-walkable-communities/exec-summary.html) or Dr. John Ratey, professor at Harvard Medical School and author of SPARK (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBSVZdTQmDs).
- Remind students to use caution when crossing. Use crosswalks, look all ways, make eye contact with drivers, put away phones, headphones and devices, and wait until cars stop before crossing. Here are two infographics to share with your student: http://www.safekids.org/infographic/dont-get-hit-car and http://www.safekids.org/infographic/pedestrian-safety-infographic
- Establish safe biking routes with students, reminding them to follow car rules and to ride predictably. At times, they may find it easier to dismount and walk/cross like a pedestrian. For more information on safe biking and save driving around bikes go to https://www.youtube.com/embed/hhkEb0ie7C.
- Reduce the impact of the congestion on the school and neighborhood if you are driving.
- Remind student drivers to be extra careful around the school.
Tips for drop off and pick up
- Drop off and pick up ¼ mile away from the school--a 5-minute walk. Students get fresh air, buses will more easily be able to get through, you will save time, and it will be safer for everyone.
- If you must be closer, use the Hull Street drop-off zone. Avoid Tiger Drive and Elm Street.
- Drop-off earlier (well before school starts) and pick up later (10-15 minutes after school ends).
- NOTE: Due to the renovation of their elementary school, Cabot studnets are taking buses to Carr. The "Cabot at Carr" bus stops are very close to NNHS and include 7:55 a.m. pick ups.
Important information about Tiger Drive
- Tiger Drive must be entered by a right turn from Walnut Street. It may never be entered by a left turn from Walnut.
- Drivers must exit Tiger Drive by making a right turn. It may never be exited by a left turn.
- Tiger Drive is closed to parent/guardian drivers from 2:00-3:15 p.m. to make room for school vans.
Have questions or suggestions? Contact NNHSsaferoutes@gmail.com.