Come to a meet and greet with Special Education administrators Kate McCarthy (chair of the NNHS special ed department) and Katie Stahl (assistant chair) on January 31, 6:00-7:00 p.m., in the Film Lecture Hall. Elizabeth de Rivera (NNHS PTSO liaison to SEPAC*) and Alyssa Cohen (SEPAC chair) will also be there. Ask questions and share tips in a relaxed setting--all are welcome!
*Whether you are new to Newton, or have a returning student, get to know the Newton SEPAC!
The Newton SEPAC…
- Advises the School Committee on the education and safety of students with disabilities
- Hosts a “Basic Rights” presentation annually, to discuss the rights of students and their parents/guardians under state and federal special education laws (Wednesday, November 8, 2017, at the Education Center; presented by Ruth Diaz of the Federation for Children with Special Needs)
- Serves as a liaison between parents of students receiving special education services and Newton Public School administrators
- Meets monthly with Karen Shmukler, the assistant auperintendent of Student Services
- Coordinates the Annual SEPAC Awards Ceremony in June so that parents can recognize exceptional Newton Public School Staff
- Hosts the Newton SEPAC Yahoo Group, an online discussion group that serves as a forum for parents and guardians to exchange information and share community resources
- Coordinates monthly presentations. For the 2017-2018 school year, we are working on Transition (from preschool to elementary school, elementary school to middle school, and from middle school to high school), Anxiety in School Children, Executive Functioning, Personal Safety