February 12, 2018
Dear Newton North and Newton South families,
Newton Public Schools is pleased to announce the implementation of the new Family/Student Portal for our high schools commencing today, February 12th. As part of our launch of our new student information management system, Aspen, Family/Student Portal will replace our former portal, Skyward Family/Student Access.
Parents/guardians will receive an email on the afternoon of Monday, February 12, with new usernames and passwords. Your previous username and password will not work in the new system. If you do not receive the email on Monday, February 12, please contact your student’s house office tomorrow. You will want to make sure you can gain access to the system to check midterm progress reports coming out at the end of the week. Directions for using the new system are posted on the NPS website (https://www.newton.k12.ma.us).
Student logins will remain unchanged. Students can access the system using the login and password they already use for all Newton Public School systems such as GoogleDocs and Schoology.
The Family/Student Portal is a secure internet-based website that will allow you to easily keep track of your student’s experience at school. Among many things, it will allow you to view your student’s attendance, midterm comments, and term grades. When the registration process for next year begins in the near future, the Family/Student Portal will be integral in viewing recommended courses and selecting elective courses for our high school students. Stay tuned for further information on the registration process, timeline and instructions.
We are very excited about how the Family/Student Portal will help you stay informed about your student’s progress. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your house secretary.
Joel Stembridge and Henry Turner, Newton High School Principals
Steven Rattendi and Amy Winston, Newton High School Vice Principals
- You should have received an email from Amy Winston announcing the Aspen launch and then an email with your login and password. Please bookmark Aspen: https://ma-newton.myfollett.com/aspen/logon.do
- Contact your child's house office if you did not receive the email with login information.
- Once you login, you can change your password. The directions for changing your password are in the email that you received with your username and password. (Log-in. Click on your name in the upper right. Click Set Preferences. Go to the "Security Tab")
- If you see any personal information about you or your student that needs to be updated, please contact your child's house office. House secretaries are the only folks who can update information for you in Aspen.
- You can see detailed data about attendance for different classes by choosing a student and then going to the "Academics" tab.
- You may notice information about "Progress Grades posted" on the homepage under "Recent Activity." Midterm comments will be released until Thursday, February 15. You will receive an email on Thursday when Progress Reports are posted.