The Newton Boys & Girls Club annual Winter Basketball League will be starting in late November. Coming off of a strong season last year when the league consisted of 20 teams with high competition, they look to continue the streak.
The Boys & Girls Club is looking for volunteers who can commit to:
- 2 hours weekly of coaching, 1 hour on a week night and 1 hour Saturday morning/afternoon
- 2-7 hours of refereeing between Friday nights 5:00 – 8:00 pm or Saturdays 9:00 am – 2:00 pm
Commitment is needed through mid-March.
Each team is designated one practice and one game per week. Practices and games are about an hour long. Games are Saturday mornings/afternoon depending on which age group is playing. This league consists of three divisions.
- Development League (Grades K-2) The Development League will focus on player development both on and off the court. There will be a skills and drills segment along with team-building and discipline. The season ends with a tournament in which all teams compete. All games will be played on Fridays.
- Premier League (Grades 3-5) The foundation of the Premier League is learning the fundamentals of the game. All games will be played on Saturdays.
- Junior League (Grades 6-8) The Junior League is designed to help players prepare for a higher level of competition. They’ll be introduced to team concepts such as zone defense, team defense, motion offense and proper floor spacing. All games will be played on Saturdays.
The success of these leagues depends on our amazing volunteers and community sponsors. Please consider donating your time as a coach or referee and help the Winter Basketball program grow. Click here for the volunteer application.
Questions: Email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call Jordan at 617-630-2066 ext 121.