The PTSO Board has happily approved funding for more than 25 requests (out of 36) from teachers with more than $17,000 in funds donated by parents/guardians. The annual Grants and Projecs program enables teachers to purchase materials and subsidize activities that are not covered under the regular school and city operating budgets. This year saw a bumper number of requests for funding, ranging from $35 to $4,500. Many thanks go to Grants and Projects Committee co-chairs Joel Bloom and Jane Stackpole for tracking and cataloguing grant requests, overseeing deliberations in partnership with NNHS administrators, managing complex arrangements, communicating decisions to teachers, and fielding all kinds of questions.
Projects and grants that have been funded for this school year include the following:
• Computer to help art teacher Shannon Slattery assemble student portfolios for colleges
• Construction of the school store
• Graphing calculators for math and science classrooms
• Proficiency tests for world language classes
• Art installation representing NNHS mission statement on Main Street
• Mini white boards for chemistry and Chinese classes
• Be Kind Day materials
• Sustainability course materials
• Folding microscope
• Field trip to the New England Aquarium
• Rotational inertia device for physics department
• Books, software, and posters
• New Rep Theatre performance of “Thurgood”
Here are excerpts from some of the “thank you” notes from teachers.
Thank you so much! This is terrific, and we really appreciate all that the PTSO does to support us here at North. We are truly very lucky to have you all.
--Ali Newton, physics teacher
Thank you! I believe this will impact many students positively this year and beyond.
--Rob Greenfield, history teacher
Thank you so much! We are very grateful for the funding for this important trip [to the New England Aquarium].
--Emma Lichtenstein, biology & marine biology teacher
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! We are very excited to be bringing back BE KIND DAY...
--Tracey Stewart, and members of the Partners in Kind Club