Dear parents and guardians of the Class of 2019,
We are pleased to inform you that NNHS graduation will be at Newton North on Wednesday evening. Though we may experience a few sprinkles (please be prepared), the weather forecast overall looks great.
Here are a few final reminders.
- First come-first served seating. This is not a ticketed event.
- Only graduating seniors and faculty on the field.
- Ceremony starts at 5:00 pm sharp. Seniors must arrive by 4 pm.
- Find your graduate on Elm Road after the ceremony-do not try to meet them on the field.
- Safety first-our staff will direct you.
Location and Timing
- Graduation will take place at Newton North on the multi-purpose field and stadium behind the school on Wednesday, June 5th 2019 at 5 pm.
- Students should be at Newton North by 4 pm to assemble for the processional.
- Restrooms will be accessible via the athletic building entrance closest to Hull Street.
- We expect to conclude the event by 7 pm.
- Elm Road is closed from 3:30 pm -7:30 pm to all vehicles and is unavailable for parking.
- Handicap parking and drop off will be available on Tiger Drive off of Walnut Street. Parking for handicap-labeled vehicles will also be available in designated areas in the Walnut Street lot next to the school. Please enter the lot by turning on to Elm Road from Walnut Street.
- Parking is difficult and is most available on the surrounding streets. The police will mark the street in terms of appropriate parking. In general, parking will be restricted to one side of the street. Please remember to give a 5-foot clearance for all driveways.
- You can drop off anyone needing to be close to the venue on Tiger Drive but there is no parking on Tiger Drive.
- Attached you will find information about street closures and parking restrictions in place for Wednesday night.
- There is plenty of seating for everyone at graduation, so there are NO tickets or limit to how many guests can attend.
- Graduation seating opens at 3:30 pm. All seating is first come-first served.
- Guests may sit in the bleachers on both sides of the field and in chairs set up on the track. In order to keep the event focused on the graduates, and to protect the turf, no guest at any time will be permitted on the field. Graduates and faculty only will be allowed on the field.
- Handicap seating will be available. Staff and student leaders will direct guests upon arrival.
- Should you need additional time or need handicapped seating please plan to arrive by 4 pm.
Safety & Security
- We are working diligently with our faculty, city and police personnel to make the event as smooth as possible for our graduates. We will ask that all guests follow all directions of our team of student leaders, staff and police. We will try to have all off-limit areas clearly marked and attended by security personnel, but your cooperation in keeping young children safe and next to you in their seats will be much appreciated.
- To maintain the integrity of the multi-purpose field no high-heeled shoes are to be worn on the field or the track, this includes graduating students.
- Graduation is a smoke-free event. State law prohibits smoking inside school buildings and on school grounds. A city ordinance prohibits smoking on public property and in cars within 900 feet of the building. We have noticed a recent increase in the presence of celebratory cigars after the graduation ceremony. Please remind your student that these are not allowed on school property. Smoking is also a violation of the Newton and MIAA chemical-health policy and could impact athletes participation in post-season competition.
Thank you, as always, for being our partners in this process. We look forward to seeing you all on Wednesday, June 5th.
Henry Turner, Principal
Scott Heslin, Dean of Beals House